Saturday, May 19, 2007

review of modern marketing article

While reviewing articles on modern marteting, I found one that was particularly interesting. The article was titled "From TV ads to youtube anarchy". As a relatively regular youtube viewer I was interested to see what this was about. This article focuses on Colin Donald of Futurescape and his efforts to understand the role of video-focused social networking sites in the marketing mix. The beginning of the article asks the question of "why is it that a professionally produced video of a semi-clad Kate Moss should only be viewed 75,000 times on youtube, while a home video of a giggling baby attracts more than 8 million people". The reason this is interesting to me is that pretty much the only thing I watch on youtube are UFC fights. Sometimes I find other interesting videos, but often I see the strangest videos that I cant imagine anybody wanting to watch that have millions of viewers. Researching to find what makes these strange videos so popular would go along way in marketing to social media sites.

No comments: